Friday, July 12, 2013

Shadows

I awoke to knocks on my door. I peered through the peephole and saw Benny and the tomb raider dad and daughters. I opened the door and took a step back so they could enter.

"Hi. We weren't formally introduced the other day. I'm Davis and this is Elliott and Charlie. Lilly is my wife." The girls nodded as their names were called, his wife must be back with the sister wives.

He thrust his hand out in front of him for a handshake and retracted it after a few moments when he realized I was keeping my hands to myself.

"We were going to take care of them stragglers you talked about. Seems as though you've had the most hands on experience... and well, ya want to join us?" Benny asked, breaking the frigid akwardness.

"Erm. Sure. Let me get my shoes." I walked to the bedroom and retrieved my shoes; I joined them in the living room to put them on.

"How did you know about the herd? From my estimations they were an easy four miles away." Davis inquired, apologetically. "You have some Spiderman senses when it comes to ghouls or something?"

"I've been on my own since the second this shit reached the east coast. It's second nature to me. I haven't been stationary in quite a few months, I learned to pay attention to my surroundings." I responded without looking up from my shoe laces. The one thing I made sure to keep stock of was decent shoes. I have three fresh pairs with me at all times. This new location seemed like a good reason to break out a new pair. I'm going to have to find a way to replace these to keep me at three. "I'm sorry, what?" Apparently another question had been asked of me while I had drifted off in shoeland.

"I asked-- You got any weapons? You seem to only have a rather large hunters knife and a miners shovel. We've got some to spare for the trip if you don't, I'm just trying to keep an inventory." Davis tried to keep his voice level. Benny must have told him to play nice or he genuinely appreciated me saving our asses the other day.

"O yeah, I have an escape stash by the road. This will suffice for now, though. Don't you worry." I winked at him. Remember the rules? Don't ever let anyone know what you have.

We used a ladder to get over the wood fence farthest away from the main road. I haven't been stationary in a place so far away from the down town area. It's nice being able to relax. I stopped suiting up like a ninja too. After seeing Knox get a blood spray to the mouth and eyes and not becoming one of those things I loosened up my get up. Not to mention the farther south I went the more I felt like melting I keep my skin covered well enough though so I'm harder to bite. Mainly I wear running gear under my clothes now. It's breathable and clingy. Safe.

Davis took out the first walker with his machete, straight off the fence. We had all agreed no guns unless absolutely necessary and if we did use said gun, we were to cut our trip short and book it home. I had a small gun hidden in the small of my back. I wore a concealed weapon police strap under my shirt. It is what I call a purse gun. I had to alter the strap and I have to wear a running jacket to keep the lump concealed. I've lost so much weight everything sags at least a little on me. These people are skinny but plump, healthy skinny. Healthier, I guess.

We rounded the corner and Benny took out two in the road with his crossbow. The girls rounded out the back and double tapped and dragged the bodies to the center of the road, for clean up later.

"You guys going to bring them all back to the pool?" I ask Davis, who seemed to be keeping a close eye on me.

"Nah, those were bodies from ghouls that either managed to get within the gate or were in the apartments when we claimed the place." He spit out brown nastiness from his chewing tobacco. Barf.

"What will we do with these bodies?" I ask, without saying anything he did a hand motion to the four stop signs at the end of the road. A large black scorch mark and lumps of charred bone answered my question. "You round them up after a sweep and camp out to make sure it doesn't spread?"

"No reason. As long as we burn on a day that isn't windy it stays contained. We will pile up some fallen limbs and finish it off tomorrow. We only burn during the day so the light doesn't attract any at night. If we make a pile tonight and it gets dark before we can spark them, we'll come back in the A-M and finish the job. It takes longer but it's worth it." Davis jogged a few paces ahead of me and brought his blade down on the unsuspecting 'ghoul' as he calls them.

We spent a couple hours being super thorough. We managed to clean up the residence directly behind us, the main road is next. Apparently they had already cleaned up the gas station on the corner the day previous when I was sleeping. Elliott said she got something for me while they were there but for obvious reasons I'd have to wait until we got back to the 301. That's the apartment number for the shared dwelling they meet for lunch most days.

We didn't finish burning the bodies but we decided to head back before dusk kicked in. "Shadows play tricks on you." Charlie had said. I haven't decided if Charlie and Elliott are twins or just really close in age. They have the same tight hay colored buns on their heads like ballerinas and appear to be the same height. They both have hazel eyes and seem to communicate through telepathy. Davis seemed to have been born and bred in the military. From what I understood he has been in the military since he was seventeen and as far back as he understood there was at least one member of his family each generation in the military. Of course his only children would be brought up as such.

We knocked the ladder over once we had all jumped back over the fence. We all ate dinner together at 301 and the girls gave me my gift: a zippo with lighter fluid, a bottle of rum and assorted food items. It was a whole box of stuff, I noted the chocolate tucked away as if they weren't even suppose to know about it. There were a few random brain teasers in the box too. They both smiled at me as I thumbed through the box.

"Without those little nothings, life loses it's grasp and flies away into oblivion." Whispered Lilly as she hugged me on my way back out to my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment