Saturday, July 13, 2013

Coffee & Voo Doo

I made coffee today. I found coffee filters and these guys were smart enough to have rain barrels for water. Britta pitchers and water purification kits.
I heated the water over warm coals and used the coffee maker to slowly pour the water over the grounds. It is amazing. I'm even drinking it cold. The apartment smelled like coffee. Like home.

Elliott and Charlie are smitten by me. Maybe not romantically but they are loving that someone new, female, and not "old" (their words) is in the group. They came over today when they saw me on the balcony making coffee.
They are twins, both turn twenty this month and talk a lot.

Davis and his family were hardcore about an impending apocalypse. If you ask him, this is China's fault. They found the Benny family here and secured the area. There use to be another family here and the Benny's use to have a few more kids. I guess Avery also isn't their biological child either, but one they adopted after the parent died from the infected.

Elliott and Charlie were in school when the infection hit. Somewhere in Texas. According to Elliott, she got to beat her [infected] teacher with a desk and it was liberating. Charlie rescued a couple girls from her cheerleading squad and managed to get home safely where their parents were waiting for them. Davis had a bug out bag and they had an escape route. They have a boat in Florida. A fancy sail boat that has supplies in it already.

"I doubt its even there anymore." Elliott lamented, staring down into her coffee.
"We ended up staying here because Daddy saw the flaw in a boat escape. It's still our backup plan though for when the shit hits the fan here." Charlie said. She's got quite a bit of sass.

Her cheerleader friends either died trying to find their parents or died while they were scavenging the grocery store. "Dumb bitches." Elliot smirked. Elliott explained how all four cheerleaders had died by 'dumbass mistakes on their part'.

"We burned them in the pool and I have a couple of their skulls. It makes me feel batshit crazy, but I've painted them. Like Day of the Dead. That voo doo stuff, ya know? I even light incense and say a prayer for them. I'd want the same done for me." Charlie said, defending herself.

If this wasn't the apocalypse I would think these girls were severely demented.... With all things considered though, I'd say they are handling it all swimmingly.

They stuck around for my calisthenics and then showed me the apartment gym and a boxing gym they found in one of the storage units that line the complex.
We heard bells and found a zombie tangled in the barbed wire that had been added to the gaps between the gate and the ground. We walked over just in time to see Randi shoot an arrow into the infected's skull.

"Another one bites the dust. Cha-Cha." Sang Charlie as shook her hips with her arms raised above her head. "C'Mon, let's go help her drag that fucker to the pool."

I guess I could get use to living here after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment