Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tuesday.2

Today was rough. I'm so glad it's dark out. Today was really rough. I mean... yeah... I can't even put it into words... so I won't bother.

I didn't leave the house... not once. I'm so glad that the power still works but it's been so hot and the large ac unit outside is too loud to run. It attracts too many. I run a fan and crack a window but if they smell... or sense... or whatever they do... sweat... if they smell (just for sake of argument) your sweat they go all crazy.

I'm so lucky that they are the slow shambling idiots they are but I don't like to have more than a hundred at a time on my street. Sometimes I'm lucky and they migrate together and I can go gather supplies from neighboring houses or the grocery store on the corner. Them all being gone for any length of time is rare and only happens in what feels like an eternity between the breaks. The moans are unsettling and they are just as unhappy with the heat as I am... but it seems to expedite the rotting process. (I don't want to talk about the smell... I've puked enough in one life time) They seem slightly more sluggish but that's only because the sun is so hot it's boiling them. I can see from my bedroom window their skin bubbling and their lips chapping. Their tongues hang out like a dog.... I really think they'd pant if they used their lungs.

I am typing this by candle light, huddled in a corner. They see anything shiny or "different" against a horizon they attack it. They lunge for it. They go for hours and hours until they can consume it. When I go out I have to shoot a house across the street (in the opposite direction I want to go to) with a flare gun. I hit the same damn house every time... and they never learn it's a trick, lucky me. I board up the windows more securely at night with large bolts. Nailing at this time of night would be suicide. I can't see them and with low visibility they have the upper hand. They don't have to see you, they just have to have the idea in their heads that you're in front of them... they don't need eyes.... they just go. They go until you are consumed.

I better sleep. I raise when the sun does. Although I don't really sleep. I don't sleep with any noise but the moans and the moans are not a sweet lullaby to hum mindlessly during happy times. I listen. I listen and get brief naps until the sun rises. I have to be on alert at all hours of the day. During the middle of the day I nap some too. I take two hour "lay downs" every six hours. I have to stay rested. Without rest one goes crazy (or crazier) and without rest one gets weak. One cannot get weak. One does push ups constantly. One is me. I am one. I am the only one.

Okay, not the only one... there are people who pass by... but never groups bigger than 3, and rarely are they ever related or family before all this. We are all family after this, but we can only choose that family now. I choose to be one. One is a safe number. One will not fuck one over.... one will never hold a gun to ones head.

Got it?

No comments:

Post a Comment